Finding the Best Secured Email Service for Your Business isn’t always that easy owing to the increasing rate of insecurity. If there’s one thing that’s absolutely essential for modern businesses, it’s a secure email service. Not only does it ensure the privacy of data and communications, but it also prevents unwanted access from unauthorized sources.
Unfortunately, there are so many options available that picking the right one for your business can be overwhelming. That’s why I’ve gathered a few expert tips to help you make the best choice for your business needs.
Whether you’re a small startup or an established enterprise, this guide will provide you with the knowledge you need to select the best-secured email service for your business. Read on to learn more about the features to look for and what kind of service will work best for you.
What is Email security?
According to Microsoft, Email security is the practice of protecting email accounts and communications from unauthorized access, loss, or compromise. Organizations can enhance their email security posture by establishing policies and using tools to protect against malicious threats such as malware, spam, and phishing attacks. Cybercriminals target email because it is an easy entry point to other accounts and devices—and it relies in large part on human error. All it takes is one misguided click to cause a security crisis for an entire organization.
What to Look for in a Secure Email Service
When it comes to finding the best-secured email service for your business, there are several key features to consider. Whether you’re a small business owner or a large enterprise, having secure email that’s both reliable and easy-to-use is essential for keeping your data safe and secure.
Here are some of the most important features to look for in a secure email service:
- Strong encryption protocols: Look for a service that provides robust security protocols that keep your data safe from unauthorized access.
- Reliable uptime and backups: Choose an email service provider that offers reliable uptime and backups so you don’t lose access to important emails and documents.
- Easy setup and maintenance: Selecting an email service that’s easy to setup and maintain will help ensure minimal disruption to your business operations.
- Customer support: Make sure the email service provider offers customer support should you ever need help troubleshooting or solving any technical issues.
By taking into account each of these considerations when choosing an email service, you can be sure you’re selecting one that meets the needs of your business now—and in the future.
Some common types of email threats
Organizations face a number of complex email threats from account takeover and business email compromise to spear phishing and vishing. Generally, email threats fall into these group types:
- Data exfiltration: This is the unauthoriSed transfer of data from an organization either manually or through malicious programming. Email gateways help make sure businesses avoid sending sensitive data without authorization, which could lead to a costly data breach.
- Malware: Malware is short for malicious software, and its primary aim is to damage or disrupt computers and computer systems. Common types of malware include viruses, worms, ransomware, and spyware.
- Spam: Spam is an unsolicited message sent in bulk and without the recipient’s consent. Businesses use spam emails for commercial purposes. Scammers use spam to spread malware, trick recipients into divulging sensitive information or extorting money.
- Impersonation: This occurs when cybercriminals pretend to be a trusted person or organization to secure money or data via email. A business email compromise is one example in which a scammer impersonates an employee to steal from the company or its customers and partners.
- Phishing: Phishing is the practice of pretending to be a trusted person or organization to trick victims into disclosing valuable information such login credentials and other types of sensitive data. Different types of phishing include spear phishing, vishing, and whaling.
Finding the Best Secured Email Service for Your Business – What Type of Encryption Do They Use?
If you’re looking for an email service to protect your data, then encryption should be at the top of your list when selecting a service. Encryption is a process used to encode data in order to make it unreadable by unauthorized or unknown users. It’s typically done with the help of a digital key.
Most email services use either symmetric or asymmetric encryption. Symmetric encryption uses the same key for both encryption and decryption, while asymmetric encryption uses two different keys–one private and one public–for both sending and receiving encrypted emails.
When selecting an email service provider, make sure to ask about the type of encryption they use and how it works. Read through their FAQs and take a close look at their policies as well. Check that their security measures comply with whatever industry standards may be required for your business too. This will ensure you know exactly what protection is afforded to your data and emails when using the service.
Pros and Cons of Different Email Services
When it comes to finding the best-secured email service for your business, there are countless options available. It’s important to understand the pros and cons of different email services before you make a decision.
Pros of Native Email Services
The biggest benefit of using native email services like Outlook or Gmail is that they’re easy to set up and use. They also come with intuitive user interfaces that make it easy to send, receive and organize emails. Plus, they’re generally less expensive than other services.
Pros of Professional Email Services
When it comes to security, professional email services are a good choice because they offer enterprise-grade encryption and other advanced features. They also come with specialized features like email archiving and automated backups for added protection. However, professional email services can be expensive, especially for companies with lots of users.
Pros of Hybrid Email Services
Hybrid email services offer a balance between native and professional services by providing basic features in an easy-to-use interface. These services can also be cost effective, offering a range of plans that cater to different budgets. Additionally, hybrid email services are often more secure than native options since they provide additional features like two-factor authentication and password reset functionality.
Setting Up Your Own Secured Email Service
You may decide to set up your own secure email service. It’s not as hard as it sounds! By setting up a server, you will have complete control over the content and security of your emails. Here are a few tips to get you started:
Invest in quality hardware
If you want a secure email server with good performance, you need to invest in some quality hardware. Look for a powerful processor and enough RAM for your server’s needs. You should also check out the Network Interface Card (NIC) that controls the transmission of all data over your internal network. Make sure it supports encryption protocols like SSL/TLS, which ensures your data is fully encrypted while being sent or received.
Choose an operating system
Choose an operating system that’s designed to be secure and reliable, like Linux or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This will give you the best possible performance and security for your email server. Consider a cloud-hosted solution if hardware is not an option or cost prohibitive—many services offer managed servers that are configured with full security protection at no extra cost.
- Toshiba Corporation: Who is the founder of Toshiba?
- Google Releases Android 14 Beta 3, With Platform Stability and New Features
- Who founded Nokia? Here is all you need to know
- Who is the founder of HTC Corporation?
- Fast Charging and Multiple Variants: Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S9+ and Tab S9 Ultra Unveiled
- Who is the founder of Realme?
- The Mobvoi TicWatch 5 Pro has been launched
- Rumours of the Galaxy S23 FE: A budget-friendly variant of the Galaxy S23
- The upcoming iOS 17 will add the ability to use your locked iPhone as a smart display
- Who are the founders of Hewlett-Packard Company?
Use reliable anti-spam software
Spam can be annoying, but most importantly it can lead to the loss of sensitive data if someone manages to insert malicious code in one of your emails through a spam message. Make sure you use reliable anti-spam software such as SpamAssassin or BarracudaSpamFilter that will filter out any unwanted messages from reaching your inboxes quickly and effectively.
Using Third-Party Email Services With Extra Security
These days, there are lots of third-party email services that offer an extra layer of security. Depending on the size of your business and the particular needs you have, there are a variety of options to choose from. Here are some tips to help you find the best one:
Make sure the service is secure
When looking for a secure email service, make sure it has end-to-end encryption, two-way authentication, and other advanced security protocols in place. This will ensure your emails and data remain safe and secure at all times.
Check user reviews
Check out reviews online to get a better idea of how good (or bad) the customer service is for any particular security service provider. Customer support can be essential when it comes to quickly addressing any cybersecurity issues or problems you might face.
When choosing an email security service, make sure it is scalable enough to handle your business’s potential growth or changing needs over time. Look for services that can easily be adjusted as your needs change and grow as time passes by.
Taking these steps will help you find the secure email service provider that best fits your needs, so you can trust that your data and emails remain safe at all times.
Tips for Safe Email Communication Practices
When it comes to keeping your company’s email communication secure, you’ll want to make sure you follow best practices. Here are some of our top tips for safe email communication:
Check the sender domain
Always double-check the domain of the sender when receiving an email. Make sure it’s one you’re familiar with, and if not, contact the sender using an alternate method. That way, you’ll be sure that the message is authentic.
Pay attention to spelling and grammar
Be on the lookout for typos, poor grammar and unusual syntax in emails. If an email doesn’t look like it was written by a native English speaker – or any other language for that matter – it might be a sign that something is amiss.
Hovering over links before clicking them can give you a good idea as to where they’ll take you. If an email contains out-of-place or suspicious links, be sure to confirm their authenticity with the sender first before clicking on them.
Delete spam emails
Spam emails can carry malicious viruses or trojans that can put your data at risk. It’s important to filter out any suspicious messages before they make it into your inbox however, if they do slip through the cracks be sure to delete them as soon as possible.
Best recommended secured Email services to use for your business
In most cases, hackers always gain access to computer servers or web hosting via Email, the reason for which one always needs a secured email provider for his or her business. Here are some recommended services to use;
Proton Mail is an encrypted email service based in Switzerland. This private email service is open-source, independently audited with an end-to-end encryption and zero-access encryption to secure your communications.
This protects against data breaches and ensures no one (not even Proton) can access your inbox. Only you can read your messages.
- Servers based in Switzerland
- Open source
- End-to-end encryption
- Zero-access encryption
- Self-destructing emails
- Mobile app
- Custom domains with paid plans
- Free: 1 user, 500 MB storage, 150 messages per day
- Plus: $5/month for 1 user, 5 GB storage, 1,000 messages per day
- Professional: $8/month/user for 1–5,000 users, 5 GB storage per user, unlimited messages
- Visionary: $30/month for 6 users, 20 GB, unlimited messages
Other secure email service providers
Finding the most secure email service for your business doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With the right advice from experts, you can set up the perfect email security solution for your organization. Consider the features, security protocols, and reputation of each service before making your decision.
Another important factor is the customer service and technical support of the email service provider. Look for companies that provide real-time support and are always available to help you troubleshoot any issues. Ultimately, the best email security solution is one that meets your business needs and ensures the safety of your sensitive data.